Computer Requirements for Online Courses
Minimum Requirements for PC Users
- Operating system: Windows 7 (SP1) or higher
- Capacity/Memory: at least 4 GB RAM; Hard drive: at least 60 GB, CD-ROM/DVD drive
- Communications: Network adapter, broadband internet access
- Additional hardware: Sound card, speakers, digital camera
- Software: Microsoft Office 2010 that includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; Virus scanning software. Microsoft Office is the document format used by the institution. Students are expected to submit all work in a compatible format. Acceptable substitutions include LibreOffice or OpenOffice.
NECI's web-based resources, such as the online learning platform and student email require an up-to-date web browser. We recommend Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, or Microsoft Internet Explorer 9 or higher.
- Computer Specifications: In addition to the appropriate hardware requirements, it is highly recommended that students be comfortable in a Web 2.0 environment. All courses will require the student to upload and download materials and to utilize spreadsheets, word processing, and/or picture management software. Additional software, available at little or no cost to the student, may be required in some courses. Examples include products such as Skype or VoiceThread. Lab courses will require students to use a digital camera and have the ability to upload photographs for assignments.
- Printer: Color printer, toner, paper, and associated cables.
- Surge protection: Surge protector, UPS
Minimum Requirements for Mac Users
For students preferring an Apple computer, a Mac with equivalent specifications may be used. Examples are the Apple 13" MacBook OR Apple 15" MacBook Pro. Note that a small percentage of the applications used at NECI do not integrate efficiently with all aspects of the OSX platform.