Applying to NECI
To begin, create an account and start the application process: Application
“I want to open my own restaurant, and make it high end, Michelin-starred. This is my goal, but I understand how much work is involved. I lost my arrogance a long time ago!”
--Roger Chueng ‘14
The admissions process at NECI is the beginning of a student's journey toward his or her education and career goals. Our Admissions team will work individually with incoming students to ensure that they understand all aspects of the NECI educational experience.
We highly recommend that, as part of the admissions process, prospective students and their supporting family and friends schedule a tour of the campus. While on tour, you will have an opportunity to learn about NECI’s unique attributes. You will have a chance to see our facilities first-hand; discuss the application process with our admissions team; find out more about financial aid and scholarships and, most importantly, ask current students and chef instructors the questions that are important to you.
Admissions Requirements for Residential Students
NECI has a selective admissions process that evaluates each candidate individually. Applicants are admitted to New England Culinary Institute when they demonstrate to the Admissions Committee an attitude and aptitude for success. Please refer to the Academic Catalog for full details regarding the application process.
Our admissions requirements include:
- Completed application.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Official GED Transcript.
- Use this form to request official transcripts/GED.
It is strongly recommended that applicants submit a written personal statement. Your personal statement should address your reasons for applying to NECI, what special qualities you bring to the program, and how you hope to contribute to the future of the food and beverage industry. Please include any information that will assist us in getting to know you as a future NECI student.
- A tour of the NECI campus and facilities.
- Letter(s) of recommendation from a counselor, instructor or employer.
- SAT or ACT scores, if available.
When reviewing applications, NECI considers the following categories:
- Industry understanding and experience (e.g., work experience, vocational classes). Please include a resume where possible.
- Academics (e.g., GPA, and grade report details)
- Essay inclusive of grammar, spelling, content, length, and creativity
- Applicant’s personal history, including interest, motivation, and passion for the industry; extracurricular activities (e.g., team sports, clubs, organizations, community and volunteer activities); vocational activities (e.g., ProStart, Skills USA, DECA competitions); prior criminal history
- Online Learning Aptitude
- Admissions Interview(s)
Please mail transcripts to:
New England Culinary Institute
56 College Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
The application review process can take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to complete. All applications are reviewed and rated by NECI's Application Review Committee.
For Admissions requirements for Online Programs, click HERE
Do you have any questions that you need answered? Give us a call or send an email. We will be happy to help you out.
Phone 877-223-6324 or 802-223-6324
Senior Admissions Advisor
Senior Admissions Advisor & Demo Chef
Senior Admissions Advisor